Open Questions to be Resolved
- Is there a pathogenic hypothesis that explains some or all of these
clinical phenotypic observations?
- Can we define objective (genetic) diagnostic biomarkers for cases vs
- Does diagnosis based on symptoms include diverse pathologies?
Ongoing Research Subjects
- Infection or infectious-like illness as a trigger for the disease
- Chronic activation of cellular immunity, followed by cellular exhaustion of
the immune system
- The production of autoantibodies
- The role of abnormal energy metabolism, oxidative and nitrosative stress in
the cellular compartments such as mitochondria
- CNS involvement by genetic and imaging studies including MRI, PET, EEG
and monitoring of neuroendocrine pathways
- Monitoring of neuroinflammation in basal ganglia and calcium signaling
- Dysbiosis involving gut microbiome leading to neuroinflammation
- Treatment effectiveness and side effects
Research Collaborations with EXPAND
If you are interested to collaborate on research with EXPAND, The European Immuno-neuropsychiatric Association, contact the coordinator of our Scientific and Medical Advisory Board at: email@example.com
See “EXPAND Research Collaborations” below for our current research.